Engine load vs RPM and torque

Matt Beaubien mbeaubie at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Apr 8 20:13:27 GMT 1999

Greg,

> >I'd like to be able to input the weights of the piston and rod, and the
> >torque value to obtain their loadings. Most people will tell you the largest
> >loads are seen on the exhuast stroke at TDC,
>
> This is in tension---
>
>  but that doesn't explain why
> >those turbo Honda's start bending rods at 10 psi...
>
> This is instability under compressive loading (column failure.

I realize the difference, even though my first year statics course was 5
years ago ;-). What I'm getting at is most references say that the tension
loads are so much greater that you don't have to worry about the compressive
loads. Not so when artificial aspiration or severe knock is encountered.

> Aluminium is not good for SUSTAINED high revs because of no fixed endurance
> limit in tension.

Drag racers sure can get away with a lot that OEM's or even oval/road racers
can't. Are you uncomfortable driving cars with Al suspension pieces due to
no endurance limit...?

Matt Beaubien
mbeaubie at ualberta.ca
1 x 300ZXT