302 or 460 build up

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Thu Apr 8 20:59:22 GMT 1999

Pat,

I wouldn't expect a whole lot of torque from the 302.  It's got a pretty
short stroke, 3" I think, and short stroke motors are typically made for
high revving, upper rpm horsepower.  Not to say you can't get low end from
it, but it would not be cost effective.

The 460 spells torque.  If you want to stick with the Windsor engine
family(302), why not go with a 351W?  It's pretty much a stroked 302,
slightly taller and wider, but most 302 bracketry will bolt right up.  Plus,
considering the popularity of the 5.0l Mustang, go fast goodies are
plentiful.

Jim Yeagley
1996 Dodge Indy Ram
See it and many others at: www.indyram.org
1975 Pontiac Grandville Brougham Conv. (in baskets)
webmaster at indyram.org
jimyeagley at stratos.net