EEC-IV Modifying for low impedance injectors

Paul S. Draper psd105 at psu.edu
Sun Apr 11 19:02:25 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I've recently decided that I want to switch my 1969 Mustang Twin Turbo
302
project from carb to efi.  The catch is, that I want to do it as cheap
as
possible.  This means using stock Ford EEC-IV stuff.  My only problem is
that I
want to use Low Impedance Injectors(2.2-2.4 ohms) with an EEC that was
originally designed to used High Impedance injectors (~16.20 ohms).  I
know
that I just can't switch injectors without killing components within the
EEC.
I have searched through the dyiefi archives and have found a little bit
of information
on this, but after looking at an EEC schematic I found on an FTP site,
I'm a
little confused.  The information I read in the archives from Dan Malek
stated
that the Switching Transistors, Zener Diodes, and Heat sinks need to be
changed.  But, I didn't see any transistors used for the injectors on
the
schematic, maybe I'm looking at the wrong schematic?  The part number on
it is
XSK-E7RF-3451-A1.  That part number says that it's for a 1987 Ford, and
by
looking at the schematic it looks like it's from a Speed Density
application.
What do I need to switch to make this work?

If anybody can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.  Also, for
those of
you looking for Ford Injector Flow Ratings I have compiled a table on my
site
with this information.  If you have anything to add, correct, or if you
know
where I can find more info, please let me know.  The page can be found
by
following the the link to my site in my sig line, and clicking on the
OEM fuel
system components link on my front page.

Thanks,

Paul
--
Paul S. Draper