EEC-IV Modifying

Paul S. Draper psd105 at psu.edu
Sun Apr 11 18:41:32 GMT 1999

Ord Millar wrote:

> I know a lot of guys running EEC-IV's with boosted 302 applications, and
> NONE of them read boost pressure into the EEC, they either use fuel
> management units to increase fuel rail pressure with boost (usually 6:1 or
> 8:1), or else they program assuming boost vs. RPM is a table of constants.
> These methods seem to work OK.

If you use the right size injectors, there is no reason to use a FMU.  With the
right size injectors, fuel pressure can be brought up by having the pressure
regulator referenced to manifold pressure.

> You could also look into the APE Speed-Brain, which connects to the standard
> 302-EEC IV wiring harness, but is allegedly easier to program.

I know someone who tried to order one of these, never recieved it, and they were
beating about the bush about why they hadn't sent it after 6 weeks...Plus I
don't have alot of money to dump into anything fancy, I just want to be able to
run Low Impedance Injectors on a Mass Air EEC-IV.

> There is the 7.3L Turbo Diesel truck engine, I believe they used EEC-IV
> prior to 1995.  I don't know how much help a diesel calibratipon starting
> point will be, however.

Prolly not much.  The difference in injection style,  and the fact the the
engine doesn't run much over 3000 rpm...that'll prolly be the BIG problem.  My
engine in Naturally aspirated config pulls all the way to 6000, with a carb.

> BTW, a company called alternative auto will modify EEC-IVs for low impedance
> injectors, and their price seemed reasonable, so it can't be too difficult.

No, it can't be difficult, that's why I want to do it myself.  :-)  The other
problem is I don't fell like paying ~$200 and waiting 4-6 weeks for them to mod
it.  The other option I've seen is to buy a box that plugs in-line between the
injectors and EEC that allows you to use Low Impedance Injectors.  But it costs
~$200 too.

The whole basis for my project is to do it as cheaply as possible.  Most of the
parts I'm using are stock Ford parts, that were modified by me for this
project.  The turbos are even off of Ford production cars, pruchased for $25 ea
in perfect working order!!

Paul
(btw.  I updated my Ford Fuel Injector page this morning, I added more
injectors, P/N's, resistances, and re-organized it.)
--
Paul S. Draper
psd105 at psu.edu
1969 Mustang 302 Twin Turbo Project