Another Question about the Northstar

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Mon Apr 12 13:34:07 GMT 1999

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Chris Moore wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>   I think you all know the problem I was having.  But for those who
> don't, My wheels will not peel out.  I have a power problem in the
> low end.  Again I think it has to do with the Torque Management
> system on the 4.6 Northstar.  I was looking into just making a pulse
> generator to produce a wheel speed signal and run it into the brake
> module.  But I was thinking.  The Northstar has two wires that run
> into the PCM from the EBTCM(Electronic Brake Traction Control Module)
> that have to do with the controling of the Torque Management.  The
> first wire is Delivered Torque and the second wire is Desired Torque
> Output.  These are the wires that let the PCM know how many injectors
> to shut down and how much timing to retard.  It is read by a scanner
> by percentage.0% to 100%.  Now, common sense tells me that one of the
> wires are a power wire and one is a ground or a return.  Is there any
> way that I could run the correct voltage to the PCM that will say
> that there is 0% of Torque Management and that would do away with the
> EBTCM all together.  With that being done, that would save me all the
> hassles of trying to fool the EBTCM.  There are other variables to
> that we would have to try to fool like the RPM, VSS, Throttle
> position.  If we could just figure out how much voltage to send than
> we could just get rid of the EBTCM and all the other variables would
> not matter.  I hope someone can help me.  Thanks everyone for the
> help.
>
> Chris Moore

Probably the best way to figure out what needs to be input is to find
a helm manual for the car you got the engine from.  The mhelm I have
for my car hass quite a bit of detail on the wiring and what sort of
signals and ranges are supposed to be on those wires.  If the wires
are "delivered torque" and "desired torque" then making sure the
"desired torque" is a higher value than the "delivered torque" would
probably make everything work correctly.   And assuming (dangerous)
that the input signals are both 5V, rig a voltage divider and give the
"desired torque" a bit higher value than the delievered torque, and
the computer should no longer back things off.   The sure way to know
though would be to find/borrow a copy of the helm for that car and
study the section on the traction control system.

			Roger