effect of leaded gas on wideband O2?

greg kring summit01 at nationwide.net
Tue Apr 13 05:19:19 GMT 1999

I know leaded gas will poison a standard oxygen sensor, but what happens
to the UEGO wideband sensor under repeated use with leaded gas? Most of
the racers I know just leave their standard sensor in at the dragstrip
using leaded gas, then switch back to unleaded for the street. When the
sensor goes bad, about once or twice a year, they just replace it. Easy
to do with a 30 buck sensor, not so with a high dollar wideband. The
whole purpose of the wideband on my Fel-Pro system is to tune at wide
open throttle, which happens at the track with 116 octane leaded gas.
Any ideas on life expectancy? We are talking 5 or 6 passes down the
track, then back to street gas all week.
Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas