[OT] Parametric Modeling/turbo

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Fri Apr 16 16:41:16 GMT 1999

With this talk of parametric solid modeling, I feel I'm qualified to jump in (I
have over 5000+ hours on ProE). First off, ProE is a really powerful program.
One of the most powerful ones on the planet. There are limitless "modules" that
can be used (cable, piping, molds, CNC machine, jig & fixtures, etc.) with ProE.
That being said, it's a difficult program for the average person to lean. The
learning curve is steep. The hardware demands are high (I recommend 350Mhz,
128Mb RAM as the bare minimum!). A few years back, the PC hardware wasn't able
to even run the software...we had to use SGI workstations and run it on UNIX.
Now, anybody with WinNT, 450Mhz+, and 256Mb+ RAM won't have any problems (as
long as the assemblies are under 200 parts!). Cost? BUHAHAHA! Well, it used to
run about $20k for the basic vanilla version ProE...and another $30k for the
tutorial (Coach Pro) software. SGI workstation was $10k. Yikes! Now
days...Parametric Technology (company that makes ProE) has become very
aggressive in their marketing. They offer a light version of ProE called PT
Modeler (about $3500-$6500), that runs on Win95/98 or NT. This was in response
to the upstart program called SolidWorks. SolidWorks is so much easier to learn
than ProE, as it uses a lot of basic Windows commands that most people are
already familiar with. Cost? About $3500. Power? Pretty good...it can do about
80% of what the basic ProE can do...but it does have a few short comings in the
"sketch tools" commands. It does offer a lot of powerful things for the price! I
recommend using NT as the operating system, and 256Mb RAM...with a 300Mhz+ CPU.

SDRC IDEAS is really nice. KATIA is another one. HP Solid Designer is one. Most
industries have a certain program they use, that's really tailroed to thier
design process and their product.

So how does this stuff help the hot rod people? Well, I use SolidWorks to design
a lot of parts for my car. I use it to do a layout of components, to check for
fit (or interference). For instance, I use it to design turbo piping. Once a
basic model of the engine, and engine bay is in place...I'm free to route my 3D
virtual pipes in tight places. That helps me drastically reduce the material
cost when ordering material for R & D. I know how much material (and what bends)
to get from Burns Stainless, before I even touch a pipe or a cut-off wheel. I
use it to design brackets, molded plastic parts (custom A-pillar pod?), or to
figure out how much these parts will weigh (plug in the material density, and it
tells you). Pretty neat, eh? Of course, I use AutoCad to actually do the
detailed 2D drawings that go to the machinist (all parametric modeling programs
have a lack luster "drawing mode"). You can design anything you want, if you can
imagine it...and are good enough to know how to use the tool (the modeling
program).

In closing, I'd like to say that all drafting/modeling programs are merely
tools. That's all. You MUST have the knowledge to design something first and
foremost. You must have a good materials and manufacturing process knowledge
before creating and testing new parts in a software program. You must know how
those parts are going to be made, and what's the most cost effective approach
(based on the end-user's needs, the part itself, the design intent, lead time,
and a lot of other factors). You must have a really good reference database!
It's impossible to remember everything, or know everything...but if you know
WHERE to find the data, that doesn't matter! Just because you know how to swing
a hammer, doesn't mean you know how to build a house!

Every single man made object you see, or touch...had to be drawn first, by
somebody. Think about that.

Jason
'93 SLC