6A <>6AL

Andrew F. Gunnesch afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com
Wed Apr 21 00:53:05 GMT 1999

Yes, they do.  MSD cuts spark, while the ECM (or in Tom's case PCM)
cuts fuel.

Now everybody talks about how cutting fuel is bad, but look at it
this way:  if fuel is completely cut, then how can a lean condition
result?

The "lean" condition that the O2 sensor reads is due to the fact that
a cylinder fills with air and no fuel, compresses, expands and then
that same air gets dumped directly into the exhaust.

If you have a system that cuts spark, however, you'll get unburnt fuel
dumping into your exhaust manifolds.  Keep your foot in it longer and
you'll burn up your cats (if you are a green hot rodder like me).

Pro:  I've heard that the ignition limiters don't feel so rough when
you hit it.  I've heard people say that the PCM limiter feels like you
are slamming into a wall.

Now, if my interpretation of what goes on here is not correct, please
please feel free to correct me.