op-amps

Bob Tom tigers at bserv.com
Thu Apr 22 00:01:19 GMT 1999

>OP-AMP stands for "Operational Amplifier".  By setting the gain with two
>resistors, you can amplify or deamplfy a signal easily.  Say you have a
>sensor, like an 02 sensor, that produces 0-1V.  You can use an OP-AMP to
>change the output range to 0-5V for your microprocessor or other device.
>This is the most common use actually.

I have been told that the following tip can be used at the track
to realize some real performance gains (2/10 -3/10 quicker and .3 to .4
mph faster in the 1/4 mile.  Disconnect the IAT (intake air temperature)
sensor and plug in a xxk ohm resistor to fool the computer staying in
"warm up" mode.  Can an op-amp be used to achieve the same result?

Another tip was to put a 2nd water temperature sensor in the windshield
fluid container and wire this to a switch in conjunction with the normal
water temperature wiring.  Could an op-amp be used instead of this set up?

Thanks for any opinions.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

Current: 97 CC Sport,5.2L,3.55SG auto.,4x2,Gibson dual,KN
         96 Grand Caravan ES,3.8L
         85 Shelby Intercooled Turbo Charger,2.2L,5-spd man.
         78 customized B100 with '69 340-4bbl,3-spd auto.
         70 Challenger,383-4bbl,slap-stik auto.,3.23SG,hemi orange