alternative fuels

Kurt L Anderson k.l.anderson at juno.com
Thu Apr 22 18:40:47 GMT 1999

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the list and most of the postings are over my head.
With all the talk about propane lately, I figure it's a good time to try
posting about alternative fuels. I'm especially interested in hydrogen,
but that's probably not practical right now, may never be.  I have a '60
Ford Falcon that I'd like to run on a cleaner fuel, with cost as a
serious consideration.  If I could convert the original i6 engine to run
on an alternative fuel I'd love to go that route.  I'm looking into
swapping in an EFI 2.3L or 5.0L so at least it'll run a lot cleaner on
gasoline.  I'm considering converting to compressed natural gas or
propane.  I've started reading "Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine
Control" by Charles Probst and it says,"NG[natural gas]-dedicated
vehicles need no gasoline fuel injection system, and much simpler control
for spark and bypass air-idle"(p62).  I'm not sure what this means.  Has
anyone out there ever converted an older carb. eng. to run on CNG or
propane?  How about an EFI eng.?  Any other thoughts about anything I've
posted?
Thanks,
Kurt
**** e-mail address: k.l.anderson at juno.com