Alternative engines

Kurek, Larry lkurek at anl.gov
Thu Apr 22 21:31:25 GMT 1999

> The problem is torque, which is what puts a resting object
> into motion... A
> turbine's torque is extremely low.

But...isn't HP a function of torque and RPM? Ahhh...answered my own question
on that one! High rpm * little torque=impressive HP but no twist :)

> Chrysler came out with a turbine powered car in 1962 or
> 1963... never made
> it into production and the test drivers said it took forever
> to get up to
> highway speed... Once it got up there though, they said it
> would accelerate
> pretty well.

Huh? How does it accelerate if it has no torque? Maybe they just didn't gear
it correctly. Maybe a CVT type of transmission is needed to keep the rpm up
and multiply the torque accordingly. With electronic controls, it would be
an interesting project...run the turbine at a constant speed, and do all of
the throttle control/etc off the trans...hmmm..

TTYL!

Larry