Alternative engines

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Thu Apr 22 23:34:20 GMT 1999

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 ScottyCBoy at aol.com wrote:

> In addition to alternative fuels what about laternative power sources.
> I notices that an allison T63 turbine engine weighs about 150 lbs is
> about the size of a 50 lb fire extinguisher and puts out a whopping
> 317 HP!! A GE T-700

Exhaust, of course, is the big problem here.  Gas turbine engines shoot
flames out the back, and are basically used only in helicopters and
airplanes where it doesn't really matter how much exhaust you put out, nor
how hot it gets.  You couldn't muffle this engine, the exhaust pressure
would probably blow the muffler right off the tailpipe.  Don't even heavy
land vehicles like tanks and self-propelled artillery usually have diesel
engines?

They're also very fuel-inefficient.

The most practical "alternative" engine would be a Wankel-type, or an
electric powered.  These are pretty mundane for alternative engines.

Steam turbines are not too much more of a big deal; the trouble of course
is finding the engine itself, and long warm-up times.  Engine won't go
until the water starts to boil.  Very efficient and low emissions (less
than a propane powered internal-combustion) and wide RPM range, a bit
heavy but not too much.  Flywheels I would put in the same practicality
category as a gas turbine, but in their case the technology just isn't
there.

There's a reason that 99% of the engines sold in the US today are
piston-type, gasoline engines; it's a pretty good design :}