1908 rotary airplane engines

Teller.John at orbital.com Teller.John at orbital.com
Fri Apr 23 16:02:58 GMT 1999

That's what was called a rotary engine.  The engine itself was used as a giant
flywheel as they were developed in the days before torque converters and such.
This made the the planes really challenging to fly.  Fighters like the Sopwith
Camel had a propensity to roll on takeoff in the hands of an inexperienced pilot
and due to the gyrosopic action of the spinning engine, reacted strangely to the
stick.  For cooling, the cylinders were exposed to the airstream (just like
those on later radial engines).