Alternative engines

M. Jones rmjones at cyberhighway.net
Fri Apr 23 16:40:52 GMT 1999

Use a two-spool machine, like a PT-6.  The gas producer screams along at
20,000-30,000 rpms, while the power turbine spins at a leisurely 6,000 or
something.  For automotive use, hydrostatic drive from there.  Most turboprop
aircraft spin the prop at something less than 2,700 rpms max (geared only), so
it's obviously do-able.  BUT would you want to?   Not for anything other than
fun.

By way of example, with the industrial gas turbines I'm most familiar with (I
manage power plants for a living) the gas producer spins at 11,270 rpms, the
power turbine at 8550 rpms and is then geared to 1800 rpm generator speed.
 Works great, with excellent efficiency at full load (especially in
cogeneration service with a steam turbine in service).  Heat rate drops like a
rock at anything below 90% load.  Fully 67% of the energy produced by a gas
turbine goes solely to keep itself sustained and internally cooled.  Most gas
turbines will not self-sustain below 60% gas producer speed.

Gas turbines may find use in a hybrid scenario -- start and run at max tilt to
charge a battery bank or flywheel, then off when not needed.  But I strongly
doubt you'll ever see gas turbines used directly in automotive applications.

Mike Jones