Alternative engines

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 24 06:00:07 GMT 1999

>The M1 tanks use turbins for power, and they are quite loud, but I
>have been told that they are quieter that the diesels the previous
>generation used at full bore.  I don't know how they made them work
>in a tank and solved these problems.
>
>				Roger

 What you would want I believe is a "Turboshaft" type turbine.
Most modern turbines use two or more compressor/turbine shaft's
running at different speeds. This is done with the the center shaft
being solid and having bearings around it and the next shaft is
hollow and rides around the first shaft. Different stages in the
compressor and turbine sections work more efficently at different
RPM's.
 Turboshaft engines, like a turboprop airplane(C-130, or most
commuter aircraft),turboshaft helicopters
(huey,apachee,hughes500,jetranger ect....)and stationary engines (GE
frame 5,6 ect) all have a turbine blade which drives a shaft to a
gearbox. This turbine which powers the shaft outside the jet has a
blade pitch and diameter which causes it to be one of the slowest
turning parts in the engine (but it still has a very high speed).
 A turboprop engine would work out great, because most propellers
spin alot slower than a high performance v8 automotive engine. If I
remember right it is common to use small 4 cylinder car engines in
homebuilt aircraft and using a REDUCING gearbox or belt drive to
lower prop speed.
 use a pair of turbo400 transmissions coupled end to end (makes a 5
speed) and use a high stall converter. still would not be a practical
driver, but it would kick some butt at the drags!