Fuel injection plugs

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Wed Apr 28 20:51:27 GMT 1999

James:
    I didn't say that very well..... What I meant to say was that due
to fuel charge stratification the area in which the spark plug is
located where combustion is initiated is at normal ratio, but the
surrounding area may be extremely lean.
    The ideal engine (in terms of efficiency) is like a diesel where
power output is controlled by fuel supplied not by air fuel mixture
being supplied under a vacuum (throttling) which results in lower max
pressure prior combustion.  Basic thermodynamic theory shows that for
a given amount of thermal energy the pressures will be higher if a
full charge of air is available for expansion.  We are after all
developing power from the pressure, so any way we can achieve more
pressure from a given amount of fuel will improve our efficiency.
    My comments on 4 cycle direct injection were not relating to the
Orbital system.  It's been awhile since I chased this info down on the
web.  I believe Mitsubishi or some other Japanese company is at the
forefront of direct injection 4 cycle engines and may actually have a
car on the market by now.  This type of system was the one I described
with the two injectors, one being direct, and one port.  I believe
they are using the same basic Siemens type injector as is used by
Orbital, and info on these developments is probably to be found from
the Siemens web site.  Try the link below... I'm not sure if it's
current.
http://www.frostbyte.com/siemens/siemens/powertrain/

H.W.