Direct Injection

Howard Wilkinson owly at mcn.net
Wed Apr 28 20:52:06 GMT 1999

Robert:
    I suspect that we are comparing apples to oranges here.  The
engines you are speaking of are extreme high performance supercharged
engines, and I suspect that direct injection was a strategy to help
combat detonation / as was the water injection system common on WW2
aircraft.  The problem with direct injection which resulted in the use
of two injectors (not the Orbital system) was atomization was not as
good as with port injection resulting in less max power output.
    I might add that as these systems of which you speak are
mechanical systems it is very likely that very high pressures are used
which results if far better atomization..... a well known principle.

    Nice flame!!..... however we are talking about a whole different
set of problems here.  In automotive applications a typical engine is
only operating at a small percentage of it's full output, and these
systems are designed with the intent of getting max efficiency in this
range.  You can't directly compare an engine designed with this in
mind to one designed to race...... it's a different world.  If you
wish to live in the past, or compare race cars with road cars that's
your problem.... None of the engines you speak of even approaches the
type of volumetric efficiency achieved by these modern engines at the
same percentages of max power output.  Efficiencies of as high as .3
lb per BHP/hr are frequently quoted (I'm not saying I believe it).
You're welcome to play with your Spitfires and Mercedes race cars....
I for one can't even come close to affording such toys.

    Furthermore this comment is utter nonsense:

>If you want Direct Injection without waiting for someone to get
around to
>re-inventing the wheel, you can directly adapt an automotive/light
truck
>diesel unit by running a little 100 to 1 synthetic 2 cycle oil with
your
>gasoline.

No doubt you could operate a diesel fuel injection system on a 100x1
oil mix, but how do you propose to regulate mixture??
     This I'm sure could be done in some way.... do you propose to
connect a servo of some sort to the fuel control to the injector pump
so that as the throttle is opened or closed the correct amount of fuel
is supplied?  These systems fire each injector every other revolution,
and the throttle only supplies more or less fuel to a diesel to
regulate power........ this doesn't work on a gas engine as the
mixture variation prevents ignition if too lean or too rich.
    To imply that this is a fairly simple project is to greatly
oversimplify things.  It is neither simple or practical.  I work with
these systems every day and am very familiar with them....... don't
try to feed me this load of nonsense.

H.W.