Toyota management mod limitations??

Chris Wilson chris at formula3.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 21:47:38 GMT 1999

I have a 94 Japanese spec (imported to UK) Supra twin turbo,but my question
also applies to MR2 turbos.Bear in mind,in the case of the Jap spec
Supras,and the later MR2's,that air flow signals are speed density,and
not,like all US Supras,air flap metered.

OK,what I want to do is get away from analogue add on cludges,that go by
bizzare names from Greddy and the like.I want to re map the ignition and the
fuel sides to accomodate raised boost,and I want to remove the safety
mechanism of a fuel cut.

Am I right in thinking Toyota don't use a removable eprom on the ECU,but it
is mapped in another way? Does this mean that,realistcally,I need to bin the
Toyo system,and go for something like Motec,and start afresh? Does anyone do
any system that adds on to the Toyo ECU,to allow re mapping?

Thanks.I am beginning to regret buying this thing,it appears I haven't done
my homework,and it is limited in how much control I have over
mapping,compared to say,Subaru or Nissan,which use a changeable and
updateable eprom

Thanks.