Fuel injection plugs

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Fri Apr 30 02:36:55 GMT 1999

Greg Hermann wrote:

> The diesel cycle is less efficient than the Otto--their higher compression
> (really expansion) ratio brings some of this back. The fact that they have
> no pumping losses at part throttle is the big one behind why they get
> better mileage in everyday driving.

    I dunno.  If a car gets better mileage out of the car, then it means it is
getting more energy out of the energy available, therefore better efficiency.  Does
anybody have combustion temperatures and mean operating temperatures of a diesel vs
a gas engine?  I think the diesel runs hotter consistently and therefore acheives
better thermal efficiency, but in any case there has to be a reason all the
references I can find quote the otto cycle as being 20-30% efficient while the
diesel is 25-40%.
    After finals (2-3 weeks), I will come back and do a little research, but until
then I will sit stubbornly on my diesel throne.

James Ballenger