Fuel injection plugs

James Ballenger jballeng at vt.edu
Fri Apr 30 02:51:27 GMT 1999

Howard Wilkinson wrote:

>     The most reasonable way to control engine power output is by
> gearing so that RPM is controlled by load.  A continuously variable
> transmission system could allow an engine to operate at full throttle
> all the time except at idle when it would need to be throttled.
> Allowing the engine to always operate at WOT would greatly increase
> efficiency.           H.W.

    Ok, I know this isnt right.  If we had continously variable transmissions,
we would be running them at peak torque not at wot.  VE is greatest at peak
torque, the reason we rev engines higher to acheive high horsepower is to combat
inefficient gearing.  At wot, there is significantly reduced ve and not enough
time to get good mixture and combustion, therefore lower torque.  The reason
this is an asset is because it produces more torque per unit time, ie power.
With a continuously variable transmission we could run the engine all day long
at peak torque and get double or triple the gas mileage, more power, and reduced
wear.  Again, im just a student so tell me where i goofed but I have discussed
this with others before and feel somehat confident that this is right.

James Ballenger