cam grinds for SC

Jason_Leone at amat.com Jason_Leone at amat.com
Fri Apr 30 16:19:48 GMT 1999

<<Of course that is of little help, and I would like some idea of what's
going on before contacting manufactures. So, what does make for a good
cam for applications like this? How do these cams differ from turbo or
roots specific cams?>>

Well, each engine is different...and each cylinder head is unique. That doesn't
help answer your question, so hopefully this will. A good generic forced
induction cam has a lober angle of about 114 Deg, has a medium lift, and the
exhaust duration should be longer than the intake duration.

Example: On a VW VR6 engine, using a Vortech V-1...we see about a 30hp gain
(@8.5psi) when using a 268 cam set (vs. stock 258 cams). Power goes from 270hp
up to 300hp+, just by swapping in the cams. The head is only a 12v head, so
"breathing" at high rpm is very important. A ported big-valve head does wonders
for that particular engine, when boosted or in atmo form.

Typically, most cam grinds that are set-up for forced induction will have
similar specs, regardless of what type of blower is used. If you have a DOHC
head(s), then you can usually use adjustable cam sprockets to adjust the torque
and power curve either up or down (by altering the cam timing). This technique
works very well for setting the car up for the drags, or daily driving. By
experimenting on the dyno, you can figure out a lot about how the cams perform
(at various timing settings). My engine has a camshaft sprocket cover bolted to
the end of the cylinder head, and capped by the valve cover...so I can't use
adjustable sprockets (unless I wanted to tear the upper engine down between
adjustments!).

One of the most important factors in cam selection is the valve opening and
closing timing, and duration. Very often overlooked, but it's probably the most
important spec! Each engine responds differently, so stick with a company that
has a lot of R&D using the forced induction cams, and ask to see some dyno
sheets with your engine, hopefully with a centrifugal blower like you have. Good
luck on that, but it can't hurt to ask.

Since you have a domestic car (I assume), you'll have no problem getting an off
the shelf cam from any large cam company (Crane, Isky, etc.). Talk to their
techs, and explain what you have...and what your driving style is. Tell them
what you want (high rpm power, low end torque, etc.). They should be able to
access your situation and needs...and offer you a couple solutions. Parts are
inexpensive and in abundance for domestic cars, so you're odds are extrememly
good that you'll get a great cam for a small amount of money. Flip through the
Summit Racing catalog, see what the major manufacturers offer. Good luck, and
get boosted!

Jason
'93 SLC