Fuel injector choice?

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpra5.msc.az.boeing.com
Fri Apr 30 16:26:08 GMT 1999

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> Its actually not that difficult to do yourself... either with a proper
> welder, or a product called durafix.  Durafix comes in two flavors,
> ferrus and non-ferrus, so you can weld steel/iron or
> brass/copper/aluminum, etc.  Its good to about 40,000 psi of pressure if
> you are a pro, or I'd cut that figure in half.  For welding bungs on an
> intake, its great stuff, nice and fast, and doesn't leave a rotten stink
> in the room (don't use the product in your living room however).
>
> All ya need is a stable surface, a $20 propane torch, and a pair of shop
> goggles.
>
> torch welding products:  www.durafix.com
>
> My intake (I tig'd it, but it gives you the idea):
> http://www.xephic.dynip.com/dodge/dodge.html

Frederic,

My biggest setback right now on making and intercooler is my lack of
ability/equipment to weld aluminum.  I do have a MIG welder and I know
you can use AL wire in it if you're careful, but I'm leary of the
expense to set it up and get the argon gas and stuff and then maybe
not having it work like I hope.

Will this Durafix work alright for "welding" up an IC core?

What I've got now is an old air/air IC core that I've cut in half, rotated
the halves, and stuck back together so the charge air is now going through
the fins where the cooling air was before, the water goes through the cores
where the charge air did before, and the whole thing is now twice as thick
as before.  I just need to weld the halves together and make end caps for
it.

I've been considering using one or two heater cores instead though since
they're copper and I can silver solder these, but if the Durafix stuff will
work, I'll continue with the AL IC core.

thanks

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com
http://www.inficad.com/~houlster/amigo.htm