ECU7 / diy-efi development, Lots of EFI articles

Al Lipper alipper at cardozo.org
Wed Aug 4 00:18:31 GMT 1999

I'm glad to hear you're getting started.

> From: Chris Caloto [mailto:caloto at eng.usf.edu]
>
> Hi Al.
>
> Got your e-mail.
> Thanks for your well thought out replies.
> I've got enough information to get started.
>
> What I plan to do is study the software and
> ECU6 / ECU7 hardware and then build a test
> box as you described. I can then try
> improving your learning algorithm.
> Depending on my progress / how well things go
> I will then think about getting a rust bucket
> car to try to install the ECU6 or ECU7 on.
> If not I will e-mail you my results as you suggested
> and we can collaborate via e-mail.
>
> I've read on the diy_efi List that you have
> ECU6 boards for sale for $30 some dollars.
> Do you have any ECU7 boards for sale ?

I do not yet have ECU7 boards - still working on getting them made.  A
number of people are interested in the ECU6 boards, but I think I'l have 1
or 2 left.  I don't want to make any promises on the ECU7 boards since I
have not built one yet - we'll have to wait and see.

> Here's an I'm just curious question:
> I read that you insist that the Oxygen
> sensor must be the heated type.
> If it's not heated does the system really crash/
> perform THAT badly ?
> How about rotary engines ?
> Rotary engines run so hot (by nature of their
> design) that exhaust temps are 1600 - 1800 degrees
> Fahrenheit (honest.)
> Mazda doesn't use heated Oxygen sensors on the
> rotaries that have EFI (to the best of my knowledge.)
> Anyways, what's the deal with the heated Oxygen sensor ?

Actually, they don't work at all.  The EGO sensor needs to be heated to
approx. 280C before it starts outputting ANY voltage.  Unheated sensors are
located in the exhaust manifold where the exhaust is hot enough to keep them
at operating temp.  Since we are putting them downstream, it must be a
heated sensor. I know some are "more heated" than others.  It is best to use
one designed to be used a ways downstream (yes, I know they're expensive).

Your questions have encouraged me to dig out my journal articled accumulated
over years of EFI research.  Perhaps they may save you some time in your
research.  Most of them are from the SAE proceedings, so I will just give
their reference numbers.

SAE number:
841297 (or C444/84)
840141
930856
800539
790143
770400
770401
840152
800164
930854

Also, check out:
International Journal of Vehicle design, vol 8, num 2. 1987, p.49
Int'l journal of mech. engineering 1985, C221/85 (G. Fegler)
Int'l journal of mech. engineering 1985, C245/85 (J.L. Pfeifer)
IEEE control systems, June 1994, p.31
IFAC Control Science and Technology proceedings, Kyoto Japan, 1981, p.2161
(N. Endo, T. Fukui, et. al.)

Note, I'm not positive of the exact title of what I have listed as "Int'l
journal of mech. engineering", but it is somthing like that.

I hope these help.  Looking them up on ei-web compendex (or a similar
academic engineering database might help.  They used to have trial
subscriptions at: http://www.ei.org/, but I think any decent university
library should have one).

I know how much work a thesis can be, so I hope this helps some.  Good luck.

			Al