DIY_EFI Digest V4 #473

Mikepoore at aol.com Mikepoore at aol.com
Tue Aug 17 14:31:09 GMT 1999

In a message dated 8/17/99 5:40:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu writes:

> Can anyone tell me the benefits of installing a high pressure fuel
>  filter on the outlet of the pump verses a low pressure filter on the
>  suction side of the pump?  Obviously this is an external pump and is
>  mounted some distance from the tank.

The obvious reason is that it's a lot easier to replace a filter that's not
inside the fuel tank. Secondly, it's customary to place a filter after the
pump to remove any debris generated by the pump. Even carb. engines had a
small filter between the pump and carb. I don't think pressure has anything
to do with it. And don't forget there is actually two filters in most systems
including the strainer in the tank, which in essence is a filter.