DIY_EFI Digest V4 #482

Mikepoore at aol.com Mikepoore at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 21:31:24 GMT 1999

In a message dated 8/22/99 3:24:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu writes:

> The scenario is this. I installed a anti-hijack/tracking unit
>  in my car (Audi-EFI). The immobilizer relay (to disable the car
>  in event of an hijack) is connected in series with the booster
>  pumps' fuse, ie when the car is immobilized the main fuel pump
>  will run dry.

I think you are mistaken. The fuel pump won't run dry, but the power to the
pump will be cut off. If the power to the pump is cut off, I don't see any
danger in damaging the engine. It should stall immediately. If on the other
hand the pump were to run dry, it would be like running out of gas. They say
running a fuel pump out of gas can cause damage if the pump is allowed to
continue running dry, i.e. the ignition key were left on for an extended
period of time. Even if that were the case, some systems, I think, will stop
the fuel pump if the rpm were 0.

If the hijackers have guns, I would hope they get a couple of blocks before
the engine stops because they might not be happy with you if you foil their
plan.

Mike Poore