Newbie question, slightly off topic.

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Sun Aug 22 20:56:11 GMT 1999

> The scenario is this. I installed a anti-hijack/tracking unit
> in my car (Audi-EFI). The immobilizer relay (to disable the car
> in event of an hijack) is connected in series with the booster
> pumps' fuse, ie when the car is immobilized the main fuel pump
> will run dry.

> When this happens what damage will be caused to the engine systems?
> I'm quite willing to accept an amount of damage in return for recovering
> my car, and the immobilizer will only be actived with my constent,
> but knowing what will break would be nice.... ;-)

> Does anyone know whether the fuel pump is switched off immediately when the
> engine dies of fuel starvation?

Usually, yes.  It's in case of an accident so you don't end up spraying
fuel all over the place if a fuel line breaks.  The engine stalls,
the fuel pump is turned off.

Note that overboost protection is achieved in most turbo Audi models by
cutting power to the fuel pump (only fuel pump in this case),
so I wouldn't expect any problems.

Orin.