Newbie question, slightly off topic.

Nic van der Walt nvdw at cellpt.co.za
Sun Aug 22 13:44:40 GMT 1999

Hi people.

I have been lurking around quite a while now, and though my
own EFI project won't start seriously for another month or
two I have a related question.

The scenario is this. I installed a anti-hijack/tracking unit
in my car (Audi-EFI). The immobilizer relay (to disable the car
in event of an hijack) is connected in series with the booster
pumps' fuse, ie when the car is immobilized the main fuel pump
will run dry.

When this happens what damage will be caused to the engine systems?
I'm quite willing to accept an amount of damage in return for recovering
my car, and the immobilizer will only be actived with my constent,
but knowing what will break would be nice.... ;-)

Does anyone know whether the fuel pump is switched off immediately when the
engine dies of fuel starvation?

Regards,
Nic van der Walt
South Africa