DIY_EFI Digest V4 #491...valve keeper probs

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Fri Aug 27 09:53:21 GMT 1999

Hi Ross,
        First of all, forget about the gently bit....even stock retainers are
chrome moly on a chev.....take a decent sized  steel hammer and WHACK the
corner(edge) of the retainer (repeated if neccessay) do this without the
spring compressor on it and even without the air in the cylinder....you will
here a difference in tone when the keepers "break loose" from the
retainer....this is very common of stamped steel keepers(especially the heat
treated ones) and if you plan on running high rpm alot, spend the $35.00's
and get machined keepers.......as for your shims wearing through......at high
rpm any spring that has a damper will wear through the shim.....you must use
heat treated shims to avoid this....most machine shops don't carry them, but
can order them.....if you have trouble I have plenty....hth's
-Carl Summers

In a message dated 8/27/99 2:20:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,