valve spring removal?? keeper/retainer welded together??!?! help

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Aug 28 03:41:33 GMT 1999

>  Ross Corrigan wrote.
> >>and hit on the top of the valve compressor tool itself, pushing the valve
> >>down in shots etc........no dice whatsoever, I even oiled it just in case
>
> Gary replied:
> >Ross, what kind of a spring compressor tool are you using?  If you are
> >using the kind that slides under the spring coil and has a screw on top
> >that pushes on the retainer as it pulls on the spring coil I'd try getting
> >the lever style.
>
> yes I"m using the above screw type, it has unparallel length jaws that grab
> the spring nicely and seat quite well on top (KD Tools), recc'd by one
> local specialty builder but it's not working right now I guess

If it's compressing the springs, it's doing it's job.  It's not a
keeper remover, just a spring compressor.  I use the same tool.  For
locked valve keepers, a socket on the spring retainer and some stout
blows with a hammer usually do the trick.  Gentle taps would get you a
days worth of frustration.

>   It slides over the rocker stud and then you put the nut
> >on to hold it.  Then you swing it over to the top of the retainer and you
> >pull on it to push the retainer down.  When you have a tough one you can
> >put the piston at TDC.  When the valve starts to push down it will touch
> >the piston then you can pull harder and the retainer will break it loose
> >from the keepers.  Are you using air to hold the valves up?
Lever type compressors can be limited by available engine compartment
space.  Might want to check for clearance.  The tool is usually
10"-12" long.

> Yes, I"m using air to hold the valves up.  I can turn down my air comp.
> regulator to 50psi or so, so I can push the valve (unseat it) it and put
> the piston at TDC so I can possibly 'carefully' use the piston as a brace
> on the bottom?

>As long as I have the piston near TDC, then if the valve
> drops when it separates (given the the valve is unseated the air might not
> just seal it right back up

Shop air won't lift an open valve.  Skip that step to save yourself
some time.: )
Shannen