Basic electronic stuff

dzorde at erggroup.com dzorde at erggroup.com
Thu Dec 2 02:36:13 GMT 1999

Dave, haven't been following the thread but I wouldn't suggest trying to connect
the PIC directly to the coil negative as you'll fry it.  As soon as you ground
the PIC output the coil will try and charge through your PIC at a rate of 8A or
so, basically your PIC will let out all the magical smoke that makes it work.
There are two options depending on what you want to do.
1.   if you want to use the PIC for actually operating the coil with proper
electronic advance and retard, you can use the PIC to drive a nice big
transistor (my ignition system uses a BUX80 driven by a smaller 2N3055) or FET
to drive the coil.
2.   if you just want to cut ignition pulses (rev limiter style), use the PIC to
drive a decent size SCR (probably C122E) and just sample boost and revs and
short coil negative to ground at the appropriate time.
In either case you will need some spike protection on the devices but that's a
different matter.

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com