Remove me from this list please

Patrick Anglum panglum at nortelnetworks.com
Tue Dec 7 15:49:18 GMT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BF40C8.93F46ED0

Patrick Anglum
Passport 4400 Development
4100 Guardian Street  M/S NE
Simi Valley, CA 93063-3397
panglum at nortelnetworks.com
> % (805) 577-2288
> %  ESN 495-2288

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Remove me from this list please</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D6 FACE=3D"Brush Script MT">Patrick =
Anglum</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Passport 4400 Development</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">4100 Guardian Street&nbsp; M/S =
NE</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Simi Valley, CA 93063-3397</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">panglum at nortelnetworks.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#808080" FACE=3D"Monotype Sorts">%</FONT><FONT =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial"> (805) 577-2288&nbsp; </FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#808080" FACE=3D"Monotype Sorts">%</FONT><FONT =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp; ESN 495-2288</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<UL>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">-----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">From:&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></B> <FONT =
SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu =
[SMTP:DIY_EFI-Digest-Owner at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu]</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">Sent:&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></B> <FONT =
SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">Monday, December 06, 1999 2:00 AM</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D1 =
FACE=3D"Arial">To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></B> <FONT SIZE=3D1 =
FACE=3D"Arial">DIY_EFI-Digest at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu</FONT>
<BR><B><FONT SIZE=3D1 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>=
</B> <FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">DIY_EFI Digest V4 #678</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">DIY_EFI =
Digest&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Monday, December 6 =
1999&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Volume 04 : Number =
678</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In this issue:</FONT>
</P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Getting facts straight!! (2/2)</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Re: Signal of AMC 16</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Re: DIY_EFI Digest V4 #672</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">re: Add-on systems which affect output pulse =
width?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">See the end of the digest for =
information on subscribing to the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">DIY_EFI or DIY_EFI-Digest mailing =
lists.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">---------------------------------------------------------=
-------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 16:17:59 =
-0700</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: bearbvd at cmn.net (Greg =
Hermann)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: Getting facts straight!! =
(2/2)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(continued from 1/2)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have no hard numbers to back up this =
contention, YET, but I suspect that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">if a port injected engine had MUCH =
BETTER fuel atomization than is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">attainable with current art =
injectors, and a much quicker fuel squirt--one</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">timed with the high velocity flow of =
air in the port--that it would not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">only make more power AND have a lower =
BSFC at WOT conditions, but would</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">ALSO want a mixture somewhat RICHER =
of stoich for maximum power than is the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">case with current art port injected =
engines! WHY?? evaporatin fuel on the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">back side of a hot intake valve =
allows fuel vapor to displace air--reducing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">output, whereas--getting finely =
atomized fuel into the cylinder, and not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">vaporizing much of it 'til after the =
I valve has closed not only avoids</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">displacement of inlet air by fuel =
vapor, but takes full advantage of the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">heat absorbtion effect (as detailed =
above) during the compression stroke.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">- =
------------------------------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">As to the best ECONOMY mixture--going =
lean of stoich tends to insure</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">burning every last bit of the fuel, =
and thus improves economy. The limit is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">usually when one approaches a lean =
misfire condition. (Misfires waste</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fuel.) Better fuel atomization and =
distribution BOTH work to push this</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">limit further out. Also--the =
basic&nbsp; Otto cycle efficiency, even at WOT,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">improves with a leaner mixture. Good =
chamber geometry and good mixture</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">turbulence during combustion push the =
lean limit further out, as well as</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">allowing better efficiency through =
higher compression ratio (by avoiding</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">pre-ignition and/or detonation). =
Furthermore-- leaner mixtures at part</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">throttle (with a spark ignition =
engine) reduce pumping losses, improving</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">economy even further at part =
throttle. SO--how far lean of stoich is best</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">for economy--the answer is--&quot;As =
far as you can get away with!&quot;--not some</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">set rule! It all depends on a large =
number of engine design factors.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">So--what are we left with that is =
magical about stoich? The facts that a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">stoich mixture is the point where a =
three way catalyst works best for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">cleaning up tailpipe emissions and =
that it is also the point where a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">standard EGO or HEGO exhaust oxygen =
sensor (as opposed to a UEGO WBO2</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">sensor) switches its output. =
Period.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In closing--I would like to say that =
this list will return to far better</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">health once it finally get put onto a =
different server, and can FINALLY get</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">off of the #$%^^&amp;^*&amp; digest =
mode--too many of the really knowlegeable</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">people here have been driven into the =
lurk mode by the digest format!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">AND--the trick to getting good =
information off of the internet is the same</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">as it is anywhere else in life--one =
has to learn to sort useful information</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">out from BS!! There are always plenty =
of people in any field who are</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">willing to spread BS =
indiscriminately, usually without knowing any better,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">but sometimes with premeditation and =
for profit! Good, old fashioned</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fundamental education taken together =
with the ability and experience with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">applying it is one of the most =
effective tools for accomplishing this</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">sorting process!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Unfortunately, high performance =
engines seem to attract more than their</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">proportionate share of the BS and the =
profiteers (particularly the ones who</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">feed on ignorance)!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Although I am NOT going to be so bold =
as to say where, I WILL promise that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">there is a bunch of good information =
in this last series of posts--it's up</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">to all of you to figure out =
where!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Back to lurk mode, at least 'til we =
are off digest mode!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Regards, Greg</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">------------------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:01:24 =
+0800</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: dzorde at erggroup.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: Re: Signal of AMC 16</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Mike, I had a similar problem trying =
to interface my Chev HEI to the aftermarket</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">ECU, made the car undrivable as it =
saw multiple crossovers of the same trigger.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Try something along the lines =
of.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
0.1uF&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1k</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">coil&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
------||------/\/\/\/\/---------|--------------ECU</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&lt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&gt;&nbsp; 1k</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
|</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
----&nbsp;&nbsp; 15V zener diode</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">5W</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
/\</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp; |</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
gnd</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">regards</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dan&nbsp; dzorde at erggroup.com</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 00:56:23 -0500 =
(EST)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: Mike Comai =
&lt;comai at expert.cc.purdue.edu&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: Ref. Signal off of AMC =
I6</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am currently trying to get my first =
major retrofit up and running.&nbsp; I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">have everything installed and when I =
try to start it the injector's don't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fire.&nbsp; I was told that I need a =
filter on the negative side of the coil</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">and to feed the filtered signal into =
the Reference line on the ECM (which</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am using a '747).&nbsp; I was given =
a design for a filter which looks like</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">this:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">------------------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:14:04 =
+0800</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: dzorde at erggroup.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: Re: DIY_EFI Digest V4 =
#672</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm doing this on my current s/c =
set-up (although car is not yet driveable),</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">anyway a blow off valve just venting =
of the air during idle and light cruise.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Put your foot down, the valve shuts =
and there is instant 17psi boost.&nbsp; Unlike a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">turbo, you don't get a pop when it =
opens, but more of a constant whistle as it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">lets a lot of air out unless =
wot.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Due to the extremely hot air =
(currently don't have an intercooler yet) I'm</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">reluctant to recirculate it through =
the intake filter (but due to the very loud</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">whistle created by all this air veing =
vented in the engine bay I need to do</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">something).&nbsp; Can anyone see a =
problem with feeding the air from the blow off</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">valve into the exhaust system before =
the muffler and quieten it down this way.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The line could be fed in at 45deg =
angle with the exhaust flow.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dan&nbsp; dzorde at erggroup.com</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:02:36 =
-0500</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: &quot;Jonathan Davis&quot; =
&lt;jfd125 at psu.edu&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: Re: KLUTCH!!!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Another way to do this, perhaps would =
be a&nbsp; large bypass valve that recirculates</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">any boost until WOT.&nbsp; Something =
like that would be intoxicating to drive -&nbsp; nice</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fat kick in the pants at =
WOT...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">------------------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 02:19:16 =
-0500</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From: Chris Conlon =
&lt;synchris at ricochet.net&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Subject: re: Add-on systems which =
affect output pulse width?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&quot;Andrew Brownsword&quot; =
&lt;asword at telus.net&gt; wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;&nbsp; It seems to me that this =
could be problematic if the ECU was designed to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;expect a particular voltage range =
and the stock airflow meter generated that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;full range ... in other words =
there is no buffer for going beyond the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;expected range of values.&nbsp; =
This seems fairly reasonable for an N/A engine</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;since it is extremely unlikely =
that the car will have to deal with &gt;1</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;atmosphere.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm not going to get into this, =
really. You may very well run</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">into problems, especially with =
ignition timing, when you try to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">trick an NA ECU into running much =
boost. (If you aren't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">reprogramming it, that is.)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;&nbsp; The alternative is to =
modify the ECU's output, which is a time dependant</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;pulse width.&nbsp; It simply =
isn't possible to have full remapping control over</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;the output because by the time =
you know what the pulse width is, the time at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;which you have to send it to the =
injectors has passed.&nbsp; It occurred to me</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">You can get very close, though, and =
very easily, in at least a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">couple different ways. This presumes =
you're running injectors a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">good bit larger than stock and will =
not need to lengthen the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">pulse. Take your basic HC11. Wire a =
switch (power mosfet most</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">likely) in series with each injector =
drive circuit, watch for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">voltage drops, ground ref, etc. =
Control each switch via output</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">compare line. Also wire up input =
compare lines so they can</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">detect when the ECU is *trying* to =
fire the injector,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">independent of your switch's =
position. (If you have more than</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">4 independent injector drive =
circuits, see 68332 instead.) Now</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">you can easily read RPM and load, =
more or less, via input</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">compares. You have a map, and for =
each rpm/pulse width point,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">look up a new pulse width. (Or just =
multiply by old injector</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">size / new injector size, correct for =
short PW, etc etc.)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Leave each output compare line =
(switches) on, until the ecu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">fires that circuit. You'll get an =
interrupt and time count</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">via input compare. Calculate how long =
you want the pulse to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">be, program output compare to turn =
off at that time. When IC</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">turns off again, take another =
interrupt, turn OC back on.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">You can update RPM and desired-PW info =
at each injector firing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">if desired. It is &quot;behind =
reality&quot; but not by much. Issues</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">exist with p&amp;h drivers, need a =
dummy load, etc, or just supply</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">your own drivers. (Assorted details =
omitted, none too tricky.)&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I already have to do this (and more =
besides) for my semi</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">insane supercharged MR2 project, ugh. =
Lucky for me the ECU</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">already understands boost, timing =
retard, knock sensing,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">etc, it just needs a few white lies =
about airflow &amp; injector</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">sizes.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Now I had some questions for you, =
since you seem to know</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ford/Mazda stuff well. I did some =
searching for answers</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">but got confused and set it aside. =
I'd like to get an</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">MX-3 v6, and do some engine swapping. =
I've heard that a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2.5l v6 from the MX-6 (or 626?) will =
basically drop in.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Wasn't there a 2.5l *turbo* Ford =
Probe GT engine at one</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">point? If so would it drop in w/o =
much work? Basically I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">think the MX-3 is cute and would get =
one if I knew I could</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">grab a decent turbo engine (well, a =
whole front cut) from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">something and drop it in pretty =
easily. (Ignoring ECU hassles</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">of course, got to have some fun!) I =
know there are aftermarket</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">turbo kits, etc, but I was hoping for =
a factory turbo motor.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Am I just real wrong or was there =
such a beast? I'm pretty</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">sure there was a not-common MX-6 =
turbo... comments? Thoughts?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp; TIA,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp; Chris C.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">------------------------------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">End of DIY_EFI Digest V4 #678</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">*****************************</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">To subscribe to DIY_EFI-Digest, send =
the command:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; subscribe =
diy_efi-digest</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">in the body of a message to =
&quot;Majordomo at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu&quot;.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">A non-digest (direct mail) version of =
this list is also available; to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">subscribe to that instead, replace =
&quot;diy_efi-digest&quot; in the command</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;above with =
&quot;diy_efi&quot;.</FONT>
</P>
</UL>
</BODY>