distributorless ignition (Ford EDIS)

Clay Buccellato (Anthony) clay_buccellato at agilent.com
Wed Dec 8 21:52:01 GMT 1999

I'm trying to determine if the EDIS module for distributorless ignition
(like the 4.6L V8's use) is adaptable to an aftermarket distributorless
setup.

What I need to know, are the input and output signals.

I've been told that the EDIS spark-sorter "module" accepts two inputs:
cam position, and the spark signal from the ECU. Outputs are 4 wires
driving the 4 coils.

It is my understanding that no timing functions occur in this module, it
is a straight spark-sorter/coil driver that allows the ECU to handle
timing via the pulse train on one input, and syncs to the engine via cam
position sensor on the other input.

Is this correct? Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for
this ignition?

I've got the ECU, coils, and coil drivers. I need a "spark sorter" that
sequences a single-wire timing input to four channels.

I understand the later (post '96) ECU's actually incorporate these
electronics internally, and are therefore unsuitable for my application.

Thanks.
--
                                      -Clay