virtual closed loop dwell regulation

Robert Sandor sandorr at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 13:46:10 GMT 1999

I am working out an idea to fire sparks of a 4cyl. carburatted engine in
right time without use of lookup tables or a knock detecton nor ionization
current measurment.The only input to te regulator will be the RPM. The
lookup table itself is not enaugh, because the  temperature of the air and
fuel varies. The knock detection and the ionisation current measurment are
expensive methods. I hope a cheap method "virtual closed loop dwell
regulation" will work. The main idea is to advance-retard dwell until
maximal RPM is measured at fixed throttle position(Is this a fuzzy logic). I
want to use separate coil for each cylinder. At very low RPM (like starting
the engine) even multiple sparks could be applied. I also want to drive
switching transistor without a MC3334 or alike IC. If the battery voltage
and the inductivity of the coils are nearly constant, why to use an
inteligent ignition driver IC? What do You think is this a good idea?

Robert Sandor