DIY_EFI Digest V4 #695

Scott_Hay at toyota.com Scott_Hay at toyota.com
Tue Dec 14 22:31:02 GMT 1999

4 Links

Van,  The length and distance apart are only a small portion of the equation.
What are their angles relative to horizontal and are they parallel?   I assume
that this car is for the road as opposed to drag racing (completely different
setup).  The instantaneous center is the point where the torque of the wheels
will act upon the body.  This is determined by the angles of the links.  If this
projected point is too low (significantly below the CG) the front of the car
will have tremendous lift on acceleration.  Too high, and not enough weight will
transfer to the back and wheelspin (if you have that much HP).    As to the
lengths that you are working with, that will probably be determined more by
space availability more than anything else.

 There are some very good books like HP's "How to Make Your Car Handle" it is a
starting point that goes into most of the questions that you need to ask.

Scott