nitrous

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 19 15:40:04 GMT 1999

At 05:00 AM 12/19/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>I'd like to hear more about the $30 electronic boost controller...
>
>Anyinfo on it???

Just a VPW 15HZ oscillator driving a TIP-30 power transistor.  Use it to
run the Buick GN boost solenoid and install it on the boost line to any
wastege.  Gives you control from factory wastegate set boost (12 PSI)  to
25PSI (on the GN's anyway... Not sure what other vehicles are running for
boost stock.)
The way the "plumbing" end of it worked it:

Intake manifold  ---------{}-T------Solenoid-----Air

                              Wastegate

The {} is a restrictor.  The solenoid bleeds off a portion of the boost
getting to the wastegate... the more it's open, the more boost has to build
before the wastegate operates... when the solenoid is closed, the boost is
stock.
On the Buick GN's, the dealer sells the factory T with a couple short hoses
and the restriction is built into the T.  You could cobble your own and
play with different sizes for the restrictor to come up with whatever boost
you like.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!