DIY_EFI Digest V4 #717

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Sun Dec 26 04:53:55 GMT 1999

> to grumpy,
>the engine is a Rover K-16 engine.ecu model MKC103730. i was thinking of
retarding it by 350 degrees which would give a 10d advance but one cycle
slower, i think so anyway. I am just looking at advancing or retarding the
delay as I was hoping to keeping everything from the original engine, like
the sensor, trigger, ECU unit. I guess it would be easier if i swapped ECU
modules or maps. but in case i cant, i was looking at alternatives to that.
>to clare
>i'm not  too sure whats the output of the reluctance sensor, i assumed that
it was in pulses, not a variable voltage, as there are 36 teeth with 2
missing on the wheel. I was not looking for a full ignition module, as i
will be trying to keep the stock ECU. but i get the idea for your
suggestion. lets say if the output is in pulses, how do i delay the signal
by 350d then?
>Thanks a lot
>Daniel
>--

Well, not being well versed in Rovers all I can say is what I've seen from
past engines, so these statements may not be entirely true, but will act as
pointers for where/what to look at.
  Reluctors are usually supplied with a min. trigger voltage.
  Even at cranking speeds they will light an LED.
  Using a LM 1458 (dual op-amp) will allow you to make a peak voltage detector.
  Using a LM 339 (comparator) then you can use some min voltage for
triggering the oem module.
  All this is about using a kludge to go between the reluctor and it's module.
  The reason I mentioned the led is that you can use a opto-coupler.
Unless you are doing a PIC, or some other programmable devise to accomplice
this, you've got a task cut out.
That's the best I got to offer
Grumpy