Calling all Ignition gurus . . .

brucep at ptd.net brucep at ptd.net
Mon Feb 1 21:28:03 GMT 1999

I've lurked long enough and watched all the discussion here and learned alot
. . . now I have some questions

I am building an ignition system for a one cylinder tractor, This will be
used on a 30 cid alcohol burning 1/4 scale pulling tractor. My plan after
reading all there is to read about ignitions in the archive is to use a GM
HEI coil. My system will be setup like this:

Homemade nylon/plastic collar with epoxied in metal trigger(steel or iron?)
attached to the crank, Ford distibutor coil pickup, (using the ford due to
size) hooked to the 4 pin GM module, which in turn will be hooked to the HEI
coil. In theory this appears to work, will it? Anyone do it yet?

Will a GM coil run a single cylinder up to 8000rpms? I saw some info saying
above 5000 rpms the coil drops off but that would be on a multiengine car
right, since u would have one trigger per rev not 4,6 or 8?

I realize that I will have a wasted spark on the exhaust stroke.  My advance
will be a manual cable that will rotate the pickup coil after the engine is
started. Might play with a vacuum advance/or electronic setup later on in
the season if this even works (anyone wanna help out I'm electronic stupid)?

After reading all the info here I kinda think that it wouldn't be all that
hard to put a GM (?) fuel injection system on this tractor, hardest part
would be a chip for a single cylinder I guess? Carb rules for this class
says must be normal aspiration so injection is legal, saw one guy running a
hilborn at the nationals this past weekend.

Cost is a big factor in this design, I need to use "junk yard parts" since I
do not have alot to spend, besides it sure is alot better to beat the big
$$$ guys with "junk" Thanks in advance for any info, and if this wasn't a
good posting for this group sorry, but it is my first post in a year :)

Bruce

"advanced dealer in the great material continuum"