Calling all Ignition gurus . . .

Van Setten, Tim (AZ75) Tim.Van.Setten at CAS.honeywell.com
Mon Feb 1 22:59:40 GMT 1999

> Homemade nylon/plastic collar with epoxied in metal trigger(steel or
> iron?)
> attached to the crank, Ford distibutor coil pickup, (using the ford due to
> size) hooked to the 4 pin GM module, which in turn will be hooked to the
> HEI
> coil. In theory this appears to work, will it? Anyone do it yet?

	Yes, I have on my father's 1897 Fairbanks-Morris.  (The one with the
two big flywheels on it.  Used to have a moving-contact ignitor.  What a
pain in the ^&^%).  It now doing work on a home-made log splitter.  I used a
large bolt in one of the flywheels that goes past a Ford Magnetic Pick-up.
No advance needed because top RPM is around 450.

> Will a GM coil run a single cylinder up to 8000rpms? I saw some info
> saying
> above 5000 rpms the coil drops off but that would be on a multiengine car
> right, since u would have one trigger per rev not 4,6 or 8?
	Yes it will run a single cyl. past 8000 rpms.   We are using it now
on some 4-cyl. engines to over 8000 now!  Make sure that you use the GM HEI
coil.  They make a fender mount one that has a HV tower on it for hooking up
a coil wire to.
	Tim.