730 variations

Mike trinity at golden.net
Mon Feb 1 23:02:19 GMT 1999

>After several weeks of lurking, and reading through the archives, I have
>a question. I am working on doing an IR Pontiac. It seems the ideal ECM
>to use is the 730. I have read in several places that the best setup is
>90-92. I have a feeling that just saying Camaro will double the price of
>the parts, would one of the 6 cylinder applications be the same? Is the
>difference in the ECM, or is it just the Memcal (or is that Mempack ?).

My old 1988 Cavalier Z24 had a '730 in it. I think any FWD MPFI 2.8 or 3.1L
V6 from about 1988 to 1991 or so had the '730 - Celebrity, Sunbird,
Cavalier, Lumina - ...they're as common as dirt.

The only thing to watch out for on older '730s is poor solder joints causing
stalling, hesitation etc. Later ECMs are better in this regard.

MEMCAL is the preferred term.

AFAIK, the ECMs are the same and only the MEMCAL changes. If you're going to
make use of the knock sensor, you need to make sure you get a MEMCAL from
the engine you're putting in the car (e.g. a 305 MEMCAL for a 305 engine) -
even if you change the PROM - because the knock filter assembly on the
MEMCAL is designed for each engine type and may not function well on other
engine lines.

--
 Mike