Smooth strategy)

Gwyn Reedy mgr at mgrcorp.com
Tue Feb 2 11:35:09 GMT 1999

In 1956 the Hydra-matic got the second fluid coupling. Oldsmobile called it
'Jet-a-way' Hydramatic. It was internal to the transmission and replaced the
bands for the 2-3 shift. Instead of clamping (or releasing)the band, they
just filled or emptied the small coupling.

I remember it well, although I might have the 2-3 shift thing wrong.
Something else tells me that the coupling got 'used' twice during a complete
shift sequence. Purpose was to add smoothness to the shifts. TV ads touted
the engineering skill required to fill or empty the coupling in just one
second.

Was a high school kid at the time and devoured car magazines. The 56 Olds
had a one second slower 0-60 time than the 55, yet had about 25 more
horsepower. Thus we figured the extra fluid coupling was costing between 1
to 2 seconds. There were kids in my class whose families had both 55 and 56
models, so it got discussed a lot.

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr at mgrcorp.com