TC's and manual trans

Gwyn Reedy mgr at mgrcorp.com
Tue Feb 2 11:35:11 GMT 1999

No substantial info - I only reference a WWII song (will get the name and
band if you really want it) about being inducted into the Army. Rhymes about
saluting and kp etc. One of the lines is ,"they give you a tank with fluid
drive."

Had many a ride in a 1950 Dodge (plus or minus a year) with fluid drive.
Some woman at the church used to pick me up in the summer to go to vacation
church school. I was about 8 or 9 years old and even then it bothered me to
see her start out in high gear. You had to use the clutch to stop, but when
ready to move, she just let out the clutch and pressed the accelerator. Very
slow acceleration. If you wanted to go faster (relative term in a 6 cyl
flathead) you could row through all the gears. I presume this was a
derivative of what was put into the tanks in wartime production.

Hydra-Matic came out before the war (1938?) but not sure if any other
automatic or semi-automatic did. I was under the impression that
Hydra-Matics were put into tanks as well. Maybe that was what the song was
referring to and they were just using 'fluid drive' to get a rhyme.

Drifting even farther off topic... It is interesting to study automotive
history regarding the introduction of new engineering features into
production vehicles. But looking at that alone is misleading. If you look at
racing or aircraft development, the production auto engineering looks quite
retarded. Guess that is what comes from having to meet a budget. An
example - there was recently a discussion about turbocharging on the early
60's Corvair and Olds 215 engine. From the '90s that sounds advanced.
Trouble is aircraft engines had been turbocharged for decades before - and
compound supercharged as well (turbo and mechanical).

Gwyn Reedy
Brandon, Florida
mailto:mgr at mgrcorp.com