Intake Runner Length

Van Setten, Tim (AZ75) Tim.Van.Setten at CAS.honeywell.com
Tue Feb 2 21:13:20 GMT 1999

> > IIRC, the exhaust ports on the Ford 427 FE "cammer" were the first to be
> > shaped---with the flat on the short side of the curve. In other words,
> > round, except for where the flow would separate anywayz. Believe it was
> > claimed to help keep velocity up, and more importantly, turbulence down.
>

> actually what it does is slow the flow at the bottom of the port
> more than the flow at the top
> this helps the gases turn the corner

	"Gasses"? Stay with me, I'm on a learning curve here.  I don't know
if it is important anymore between the "D" or "Square" shaped runners
anymore because it is only air going thru them.  I can understand air speed
in the runner, etc., but where it goes out the window for me is when you see
the runner, where it attaches to the plenum, is a square corner!  A lot of
plenum / runner combinations are shaped like a "T".  Believe me, I'm not
trying to make an issue out of this, just trying to understand and make the
best setup feasible.
	Thanks.....Tim.