Love This

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Feb 2 21:22:56 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Clarence Wood <clarencewood at centuryinter.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 4:11 PM
Subject: RE: Love This

>  Could you, or someone, please explain PWM (assuming that PWM=Pulse Width
Modulation) of cooling fans?

It all relates to the digitial world.  While resistors could be used to slow
a fan motor down, they give off heat, and thus waste energy.  PWM,
is full on but for short periods of time, lots less wasted heat.   Also,
infinitely variable speed controls are possible.
   While was mentioned for cooling fans, I was looking for a fuel pump
controller, but a motor issa motor.
Bruce

  I thought that cooling fans worked on an on/off system.  Under what
conditions would you want PWM control, and what is the pulse width that is
being modulated?  You guys really know how to humble a guy; I thought I had
a lock on cooling fans!(:<