fusible link questions

KD6JDJ at aol.com KD6JDJ at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 19:53:31 GMT 1999

  Reply to Pat Ford
  I didnt intend to get into a long exchange of design criticism when I put my
2 cents in to this fusable link question answering post.
  On some (many) cars the wire that connects the alt. + to the battery+ is
used as a shunt for the ammeter.
  When the ammeter must display both charge and discharge, the load that will
be monitored for discharge must be connected to the alt. side of the shunt.
  So, the designers sometimes chose to put the link in that path.
  Sure there are ocassional problems as a result -- but they are few.

  I wanted to inform thoes of us that are rewiring an alternator + to battery+
that a fusable link is not needed.

  Also -- An alternator is not designed so that its diodes limit its output
current. The stator does that.

  Yeah , I assume that ALL critical wires will be connected dirrectly to the
battery , for the reason you state.

  For what it is worth -- Delco puts Avalanch diodes in their negative side of
the bridge to 'suck up' thoes destructive transients.

  Jerry