PulseWidthModulation comments

Terry_Sare at dell.com Terry_Sare at dell.com
Thu Feb 4 20:39:12 GMT 1999

>From another list for robots: PWM comments. Funny that it shows up on two
different list at the same time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Inserted from srs list <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi,

        The speed of the PWM for speed control of a DC motor is *highly*
dependent on the motor you are controlling.  For example, the little 3/8
inch
diameter motor that I use require a PWM frequency of at least 20 KHz (which
isn't doable with a standard HC11 setup).   Luckily, most of us aren't
pushing the performance envelop, so most of the typical motors used in
mobile
robots can be run with a wide range of frequencies.
        As far as the inductance, if you run the frequency up, the inductive
field doesn't collapse as much, so the impedance isn't such a problem.
Depending on the motor, there are bad ranges, however.

                Cheers,        Bill Harrison
                                    http://www.sinerobotics.com