DIY_EFI Digest V4 #85

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Feb 4 21:31:38 GMT 1999

>Re: TC's and manual trans (was: Re: Smooth strategy)
>

>>>No way--a two element torque converter is a violation of Newton's laws!!>>
>
>>>Regards, Greg>>
>
>Greg
>I don't know much about Newton's laws however I have been under cars for
>the last 45 years, working mostly on auto trans. so I know a little bit
>about torque converters. To get torque multiplication in a 2 element TC
>you need curved vanes plus a  different number of blades (vanes) in the
>turbine and impeller. There was usually a split guide ring (doughnut) as
>well. While this arrangement is not as effective as a TC with a stator
>it nevertheless multiplies torque and is therfore correctly termed a
>Torque converter.
>
>Theo from downunder

Let's don't mistake slip--lock-up speed  characteristics for torque
multiplication. If you have torque A coming into the unit on the input
shaft, and torque B going out of it on the output shaft, For A to be
different from B, there has GOT to be a torque reaction against the case.
No way out of it. Otherwise we are talking about a close kin of the famous
(?) 300mpg carburettor!

The usual way for that torque reaction that MUST exist for a torque
increase (multiplication) to exist, is for it to get transmitted into the
case is from oil hitting the vanes on the (third) stator element (a third
element), with that force going from thence through the sprag clutch into
the case. Sure--you could just cast the diverter vanes into the case and do
it, but then they could never freewheel at speed and let the thing act
effectively like a two element fluid coupling at low slips/high speeds.

No offense or flame here--this is just basic statics.

Regards, Greg