fusible link questions

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Feb 4 21:44:42 GMT 1999

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 KD6JDJ at aol.com wrote:

> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:51:16 EST
> From: KD6JDJ at aol.com
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: fusible link questions
>
>   Reply to Pat Ford
>   I didnt intend to get into a long exchange of design criticism when I put my
> 2 cents in to this fusable link question answering post.

fair enough

>   On some (many) cars the wire that connects the alt. + to the battery+ is
> used as a shunt for the ammeter.
>   When the ammeter must display both charge and discharge, the load that will
> be monitored for discharge must be connected to the alt. side of the shunt.
>   So, the designers sometimes chose to put the link in that path.
>   Sure there are ocassional problems as a result -- but they are few.

I dissagree

>   I wanted to inform thoes of us that are rewiring an alternator + to battery+
> that a fusable link is not needed.

just as fuses are optional

>   Also -- An alternator is not designed so that its diodes limit its output
> current. The stator does that.

I think I said that the regulator limits current ( buts it's been a long
day) ( the mechanical regulators had an overcurrent cutoff)

>   Yeah , I assume that ALL critical wires will be connected dirrectly to the
> battery , for the reason you state.
>
>   For what it is worth -- Delco puts Avalanch diodes in their negative side of
> the bridge to 'suck up' thoes destructive transients.

I VERY strongly dissagree here just for giggles put a set of jumper
cables from your car to another without a battery put a scope on the
battery and watch the "load jump"> there may be diodes there but they
wont stop the load jump

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8