Newbie questions

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Fri Feb 5 01:41:00 GMT 1999

EFI gurus,

I've been lurking her for a while, soaking it in.  My EFI project is a 1975
Pontiac Grandville, 400 cid.  The car is a convertible that sits around a
lot here in northern Ohio, so I started thinking about injection a couple
years ago to avoid all the carb problems that come from sitting.  It wasn't
until I found this list that I knew it would be possible.

I would like to use a GM TBI system, say from a Chevy Caprice or truck,
since I've had a little experience a few years back with GM computers.

Now for the questions.

What (if any) is the difference between Chevy car systems and truck systems?
If I use a  late model Ford fuel pump, frame mounted, is the regulator in
the throttle body?
Will a 305 throttle body have enough cfm for my 400?

I've been reading here about different software/hardware for communicating
with the car's computer, but I admit I haven't been able to pick up much.  I
have a little experience with OTC Monitor 2000 and 4000, but they couldn't
change any settings.  Can someone explain the basic idea behind changing
(and figuring out the changes needed) the prom?
>From what I can tell, there's a program that allows you to hook up a laptop,
kind of intercept the signals and change them between the cars computer and
the engine, test the changes, then save them.  Does this sound right?  Then,
how do you get these changes into a new prom?

Geez, that's enough for now.  Thanks for your patience and answers, or at
the least the entertainment from reading all the posts to this list.

Jim Yeagley