Diagnosis steps & tools?

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 19:29:25 GMT 1999

In a message dated 2/8/99 12:28:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tyuhas at mail.arl.arizona.edu writes:

<< I have a '90 Chevy Beretta with the 3.1L V6 that I'm looking for some
 diagnostic suggestions.  Basically when the engine is warmed up, it hunts
 for an idle.  It never stalls but it sounds like it's misfiring.  I'm in
 the process of figuring out which scantool to get so I took it to the
 shop.  Mr. Goodwrench ran some diagnostics and said everything was fine.
 I took the service advisor out for a spin and showed him what it was
 doing.  His reply was that this is something that is designed in. >>

If you have a manual trans. prom, you might try one from an auto. trans. (even
if your car is a manual.)  I've read that this is a common fix for idle
problems on the 2.8 and 3.1 litre engines.
I have the EFI system from a Berreta, 6 cyl., manual trans. on my car.  And I
had similar problems, plus hesitation off idle, until I switched to the prom
from an '88 v6 auto. Grand Prix from a junkyard.  Now all my problems have
been cured and the car idles and accelerates smoothly.