L-Jetronic peculiarity

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Mon Feb 8 19:17:56 GMT 1999

 I spent some more time playing with the L-Jet's wiring harness this
morning.  The L-Jet is from an '82 Supra, and slightly different from
the German systems described in Probst's book.  For example, it has an
external pull-up resistor pack, which Probst says wasn't used after '79,
and it has no thermostatic idle air valve.  Considering it's a Japanese
implementation of a German system with an American reference book, not
too bad.  Having the Supra's wiring diagram has helped too.

 As with most harnesses, wired were looped all over the place, often
using six feet of wire to run to a connector a foot away.  When untaped
and unsnarled, most of the wires were 8 feet or so long, no matter how
far the terminals were from the computer.  I separated them into logical
bundles with masking tape.

 The most interesting thing so far is the way the injectors are wired.
Every L-Jet diagram I've ever seen (granted they're mostly copies of the
original Bosch drawings) shows a bank fire system.  The Supra has two
leads coming out of the computer, which are then joined together before
splitting back up to two sets of three.  All six injectors fire at the
same time, which will simplify figuring out which three injectors to
connect to which cylinders...

 Why would Toyota have rigged the L-Jet to fire all six injectors
simultaneously?  And would I gain anything by splitting it back to bank
fire?

==dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us======================================
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?